Saturday, August 18, 2012

Faith and other Flat Tires by Andrea Palpant Dilley

I recently received a book Faith and Other Flat Tires by Andrea Palpant Dilley for free to review from the publisher.

My first thought when I got this book was a bit disgruntled.  Why?  Well, in this day and age where we live so many people are writing books that are just outright negative towards the church.  While I perfectly agree with many of the points, being a PK (Preacher's kid) myself I can relate with some of the issues; but since misery loves company I feel that these books can fuel a negativity fire that is very hard within the church to distinguish.

But before I get into the review let me give you the publishers take:

At age twenty-one, Andrea Palpant Dilley stripped the Christian fish decal off her car bumper in a symbolic act of departure from her religious childhood. At twenty-three, she left the church and went searching for refuge in the company of men who left her lonely and friends who pushed the boundaries of what she once held sacred. In this deeply personal memoir, Andrea navigates the doubts that plague believers and skeptics alike: Why does a good God allow suffering? Why is God so silent, distant, and uninvolved? And why does the church seem so dysfunctional? Yet amid her skepticism, she begins to ask new questions: Could doubting be a form of faith? Might our doubts be a longing for God that leads to a faith we can ultimately live with?


So I finished this title and really found it a great and easy read.
While it does come out of a memoir of the multiple times that the author had where the air was let out of their Faith tire, it doesn't leave you there in misery.
It is out of the misery that your faith can begin to ask questions and challenge you to live, learn and truly believe.

So check out the book and see what you think?  It might just help you through a challenge you are going through that is similar with the author.

No comments: