Saturday, May 17, 2008

Awakening: Part Seven

“William, your dreams can have many meanings. I am not here to help you. In fact I was just hoping you would share with me your dreams as I am writing a book on dreams and possibly their meanings too. Your’s might be included in the book if you wanted.” Now that caught my attention. I mean, who wouldn’t want their story told to thousands and even millions. So with willing reluctance I agreed.
After 2 hours and a pitcher of lemon aid, I finished, leaned back in the chair and said “So… Sure blows your mind doesn’t it?” Pastor Ron just stared at his cup as if in deep thought. After a long awkward silence he looked up at me with moist eyes.
“You have been through a lot of pain in your life. I am sorry that you had to endure that. I don’t want to try and dissect your dreams or give a patent answer that will be suppose to fix all of your answers. But let me say this. You and I are a lot alike. I don’t believe in religion either.” I had been leaning my chair back on the hind 2 legs but with that statement all 4 legs of the chair hit the ground with a thud. “That is right.” The pastor continued. “I said I don’t believe in religion either. We are in agreement on that one fact. Religion is full of empty promises, water that doesn’t work to clean us, and arrogant self righteousness.
“I believe in a relationship, a friendship with the one who can help. His name is Jesus. Jesus has been there for me when ever I faced trials or fears in my life.” For the next hour Ron sat there telling me about how he and this Jesus had a personal relationship. He talked to him, and knew he was there. I had never heard anyone so intimate with something they couldn’t see. Finally he pushed his chair back and stood.
“William I can’t tell you that everything will be okay tonight and tomorrow night or every night after that. I can’t tell you that you won’t be hurt, or that you won’t be afraid. But I can tell you that when you are hurt or afraid you can call on Jesus who will be with you. Think about that and when you are ready I will be glad to talk more about it.” With that he walked towards the door. Just as he was stepping out the door he turned to me “Oh by the way, I hear you like to work on cars as a hobby? We have a group of guys who meet together and work on an old ’65 Shelby. If you’re interested we meet at the Hill Top for Breakfast at 6:00 on Saturdays. Maybe we will see you then.” “Maybe you will. Thanks” I said as he left and I closed the door.
I stood at the door to the house for what felt like hours. I couldn’t believe what had just happened. I felt like I had a new perspective on life; A new understanding of the world. I went to find Shelly. The final room I came to was the bedroom where I found her kneeling by the bed with the Bible open in front of her. Her smooth lips were moving but I couldn’t hear anything coming out of them. Generally when I caught her like this I enjoyed making fun of her, but this time I felt like she was doing a very important thing. Finally I stepped over to the bed and sat down. She, a few seconds later, upon finishing her prayer, looked up at me and smiled. She said, “I want to read you a verse that I just felt led to tell you it is found in 2 Timothy 1:7 ‘For God has given us a spirit not of Fear, but of power and love and self-control.” With that I couldn’t help but begin to cry. I don’t know if it was from the present stress or the pastor’s passion, or my wife’s love? But I felt years of memories of hate, hurt, and fears washing away with each tear. We sat for 15 minutes in each others grasp and I finally looked down at her and said, “I want to know this Jesus the way you and Pastor Ron do. Can you help me?” And with that we knelt together and prayed. I prayed that Jesus would help me, love me, need me, and use me; To take all of my old life away from me and help me be new.

__________________________________________________________________________________
All items contained in this story are the property of the Author and can not be copied in any form without written permission. Copyright May 2008 by Curtis Cecil

No comments: