Friday, November 30, 2012

Uncle Jesus by Georgia Lee Anderson

I recently received "Uncle Jesus" to review for free from Book Crash, the author and the publisher Aspect Books.  www.bookcrash.com;
In no way am I suppose to write favorably about this title.

Here is what the publisher had to say:
Uncle Jesus is a heartwarming story that helps us imagine what it would have been like to be Jesus’ relative while He lived on earth. Jesus had brothers, including one named Jude, the author of the Bible book of the same name. In Uncle Jesus, Jude’s fictional son, Shem, visits Grandma Mary, the mother of Jesus, and relates some first-hand experiences he had with his Uncle Jesus when He was still on earth. An inquisitive, genuine, sweet little boy, Shem asks Grandma Mary about Jesus, about his other uncles’ view of Jesus, and about her own experiences.

I started reading this book to my kids.  I enjoy books that cause further discussion with my kids.  But I prefer ones that don't confuse.

In this book are a few items that I found to be a stretch on the biblical accounts.  Uncle Jesus talks about Jesus' older brothers who were Mary's children.  This would negate the virgin birth.  

The second part of this account that led to more questions was it's discussion of Jesus.  It tells how Jesus died and he is missed.  Never does it express that he rose again or that he is in heaven etc..  This again is very far from the doctrine that protestants would hold of Jesus' divinity.

So I would say:
Illustrations: 4 stars out of 5
Story line: 2 stars out of 5 due to extra Biblical
Educational element  1 Star out of 5 due to causing confusion with my 10 and 8 year old who were able to catch the issues in it.

When it comes to children they are so much more vulnerable and thus as parents we must guard their reading to ensure it is beneficial.  This unfortunately didn't meet the standards for me and will not be a continued read for my children who are able to read.  For those who can't they can most definitely look at the pictures.

No comments: