Monday, October 5, 2009

Find Your Strongest Life by Marcus Buckingham


Had an opportunity to preview another book that I actually liked… okay back story: I saw a book on Leadership and Business which are 2 items that I have dealt in for many years and I enjoy reading the new titles and learning more about how to continue to develop this. What I failed to notice was the Subtitle. The Book is Find your Strongest Life by Marcus Buckingham. I knew the Author from his other titles First, Break all the Rules and Now Discover Your Strengths.

But as I said I missed the subtitle which is What the happiest and Most Successful WOMEN do differently. YEAH… guess attention to details needs some help. So anyways, I read the book. At first thinking that this would just be a typical business book written for women that I wouldn’t really get; but you know what? I actually did get it and enjoyed it.

The major premise of the first Part of the book stems from a conference with Oprah.com that the Author took part in. The found numerous issues that Women in leadership and the workplace are facing.

Then the Second part of this book talks about how to Learn to Live Your Strongest Life. Such as what does it feel like? How is it lived?

Then Finally is Strong Life Tactics. These last chapters take many of the top questions asked and give some suggestions on how to come to a better and stronger life from them.

In the book is a test that is given to find your Lead Role and Supporting role. It broke these down into 9 key areas: Advisor, Caretaker, Creator, Equalizer, Influencer, Motivator, Pioneer, Teacher, and Weaver. It gives you the test on-line that tells you your 2 and then gives you better understanding of how you think in order to help you find your Strongest Moments in Life.

I took the test… I had to laugh at some of the questions as it was clearly designed for women but even so…

My Lead Role was Advisor:
You begin by asking:
'What is the best thing to do?'

Your thrill comes from knowing that you are the person others turn to for the answer. You don’t necessarily want to be the person who actually makes the changes happen. Rather, what excites you is being valued by others for your insight and your judgment.

Your best quality:
Your ability to find a solution

Always:
Search for data to support your advice

Be careful you:
Don’t get frustrated by other people’s failings

Your smartest career move:
Any job where you’re paid to be opinionated

Then my Supporting Role was Influencer:

You begin by asking:
'How can I move you to act?'

In virtually every situation, your eye goes to the outcome.

Your best quality:
Your ability to outwit others

Always:
Keep your eye on the specific outcome you want

Be careful you:
Don’t waste your time with people who can’t make things happen

Your smartest career move:
Any job where you’re paid to persuade others to act

Honestly this is where my heart, and career have been for some time.

I would highly recommend this book. It is filled with great advise and readable and illustrative examples that help you to best understand what will help fulfill you in your leadership and life.

Now remember, this is a business book. The key to making us JOYFUL is our faith in Christ as Christians, not in our success. But this book understands that dynamic.
Go check it out on September 29th, 2009 when it releases at your local Family Christian Stores.

No comments: