Saturday, October 27, 2007

Better and Lasting Possesions

These are not my words but taken from the Persecuted Church Blog. It says it all from what I had been thinking these past few days as I watched the news. I highly recommend this blog for all of us AMERICAN Christ Followers, in our Cars (25% of the world own cars), nice homes, and fancy church buildings with GREAT comfortable seats (got to love our set up).
This blog has brought the persecuted church into new light for me to understand and pray about. It shows pictures almost daily of new martyrs for their beliefs in Christ. And not one have I seen that didn't look like a Harvard Grad. My point is, too often I thought that people who died for their faith were dying in deep jungles where the 'un-godly' live. Yet that is the farthest from the truth. So now that I have thrown in my plug here is the main words for this blog:

I’ve been thinking about the words of Hebrews 10:34 in recent days, which say, “[you]…joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions.” The rest of the passage is about standing side by side with those suffering persecution.
The idea of losing possessions became more real to me when I thought of the 1,800 people who lost homes in the fires in Southern California this week. They lost everything they had, melted in the raging hot fires.
If I had just lost my home, my natural inclination would not be to joyfully accept the loss knowing my real treasure is in heaven. My things have value to me. They make my life more comfortable; they make my home look a certain way; they represent a pleasant memory. It’s hard to put my focus where it belongs: on the lasting possession of a place in eternity with the King of the Universe.
Christians who are persecuted often lose their homes or possessions, whether it is the government who confiscates property or a group of neighbors who force them out of the village. So many of them I read about are able to joyfully accept their loss, because they look forward to an eternal treasure. As I stand with my brothers and sisters, may my own attitude be one of joy, no matter what the circumstances.

Posted by: Dory Puffé in: encouragement

No comments: