Monday, October 25, 2021

God With Us book review

I grew up in the church.  Hearing the stories of the Old Testament filtered through the lens of a teacher.  Stories geared to catch my attention, often softened for a child’s ears.  Then I learned to read.  I was, and still am, an insatiable reader.  Before I was 10, I had read everything from CS Lewis’ Narnia to Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings.  I still remember as a 8 or 9 year old reading the Bible from cover to cover.  And I found that many of the stories sounded DIFFERENT than what I had heard.  Not in a theologically important way, but more in the (what I thought as a young boy) was a cool way… like David picked up the sword of Goliath and separated his head from his shoulders with it (I had missed that one in Sunday School).




This week I was given a book to review, God With Us: a Journey Home by Jeremy Pierre and illustrated by Cassandra Clark.  I wasn’t sure what to expect.  I thought it was a kid’s book, and it is, yet the artwork, the writing, the story all captured me.  I also thought it was a book talking about Heaven.  I was so wrong.

 

This book starts with the journey of two Angels watching as History unfolds.  Starting before the creation of the world and going through the Old Testament.  But here is the catch, they are talking to you and showing you how each incident was pointing to the MOST IMPORTANT NAME.  They never say their names as the story isn’t about them, they only want to introduce you to the work of God through JESUS, the Most important NAME.  Each event they paint a picture of what God is doing and it EXPLODES in the New Testament with Jesus.  They show how the Covenant connects with Abraham, how the Passover of Israel was just a small one compared to the Lamb that was to come.  

 

Now most kids’ books end with the beautiful story of Jesus.  His death and resurrection being the end of it.  But not this one.  Let me say first that in the crucifixion there are not graphic illustrations, yet there are powerful ones.  I was captured by the picture of Jesus with two guards on his sides and he had a tear running down his cheek.  Often, we see the PAIN of Jesus, but we don’t see tears, that is too human of a picture, yet so touching! 

 

The end of this book goes on to portray 40 pages of how this all affects you, the reader. Speaking to what the Temple of God looks like (Spoiler its YOU!), sharing the excitement of us all being on mission together with God to share the good news with others, reminding us that Jesus is always near.  Then the last two chapters are on heaven and “the unfished chapter” these leave you with a challenge and a longing.

 

Too often we miss the longing of Heaven.  This book paints the picture so vividly in the words of the author and the beautiful illustrations by Cassandra Clark.  The illustrations are not cartoonish nor classical, they are a modern classical approach that beautifully captures the eye.  As well the artists in some cases just has pages of watercolors that add to the mystery being presented.  

 





This book will be released as a Hardcover book, it is 268 pages long when it releases this December from Shepherds Press.

Many thanks to Shepherd Press for providing this product/product information for review. Opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive the product in exchange for this review and post 

#GodWIthUsMIN #MomentumInfluencerNetwork

 

You can pre-order this keepsake book at the below links or Amazon

·      https://www.shepherdpress.com/products/god-with-us/

·      https://bit.ly/god-with-us

      For more information on this book you can also check out the books website:

·      https://www.shepherdpress.com/godwithus/

·      https://www.youtube.com/user/ShepherdPress/videos 

No comments: