Saturday, November 5, 2011

168 Million and counting / 883 who need voices

I spoke yesterday on my facebook page of having watched 2 films, one on the 2nd and one on the 3rd about Father Flanagan and Boys Town. A man who lived his life for the children.

Tonight I watched a film about one person who believed in something so much that she was willing to give her life for a cause.

That person was Joan of Arc. She believed so emphatically that God had called her to help bring about a united France that she gave herself to be tried.

Recently I have been experiencing a small trial. At times I want to say “God, really… is there a plan here?” yet in it all I have been able to hold strong to the fact that I know God will see me through.

I do find it simpler to complain in these trials then to persevere… yet when I see the stories and read some of the letters that Joan of Arc wrote I am amazed of her resilience.

When I look at my hangnail problem in light of dying at the hands of the church you sought to help… I do not have a leg to stand on.

It makes me then tie it back to Orphan care. It is so easy to see the #’s: 168 Million orphans in the world. How about the facts of the # of children who die of starvation daily? Where do I focus, what do I do? How can I make a difference…

It is so easy to be so overwhelmed that I want to give up. Yet just like Joan of Arc, I will continue to advocate till there is no longer breath in my lungs. I can’t save them all but I might be able to teach 10 more people to advocate, they in turn might teach 10 and so on.

Maybe world orphan #’s are too scary for you.

Well try this one on for size:

In the State of Maryland there are 883 children awaiting adoption.

That is much smaller then 168 Million.
This photo is one of those waiting children from Maryland, Seeking a Foreer family.
But what saddens my heart is the next fact:

There are 5,816 registered Churches in the state of Maryland.

In America there are 107, 011 children awaiting adoption (2010 figures) and yet there are 348,067 Churches. 

So in Maryland only 15.2% of all the churches would have to get involved and seek to find a family to adopt a child.  Nationwide in America only 30.7% of churches need to be involved.

But does the church care?
 Are we really making a difference or are we sitting back hoping someone else will take care of it?


Do we sit in our pews and watch the world go to Hell?


Do we sing our songs about God’s love and yet drive past the homeless family in need?


Or are we hiding behind our piety and being more shocked that I used the H. E. Double Hockey stick word above?

So what are you going to do?  Can you look in these faces and say "I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU!?!"
LOOK AT THEM!!! Think about how it must feel to have NO ONE to help?
When you cry and no one hears you begin to not waste time crying.

 
 

Will you foster one of these waiting children? Or maybe even adopt them?

What would happen if one church said “OUR GOAL IS TO SEE 10 FAMILIES ACCEPT A CALL TO ADOPTION OR FOSTER CARE THIS YEAR?”

Can you speak up on the behalf of these children?
 WILL YOU?

Galatians 4:4-6


But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

Can you imagine the Joy portrayed in this verse?  Never having had a father and being Adopted allows not just to say the words but to CRY OUT "DADDY!!  FATHER!!".
The job is unspeakable and full of HIS glory!

Can you show God's Glory to a child?


No comments: