Saturday, July 23, 2011

Rumors of God


In my life I have often felt that I had great potential but not living up to it… Many of us have that. Especially in my walk with Christ there are times where I feel and have felt like there was so much more that I was missing. Why do I fall for the typical sin? Why do I not keep up a consistent devotional life?
Sometimes these doubts and questions are hard to vocalize. Growing up as a preacher’s kid it was difficult to give voice to any questions to my teachers etc… especially when I had a better knowledge of the Bible then some of them. Then as an adult I have always been put into positions of leadership in the church.
But a book I have just read is changing my thought on this.

“Rumors of God” by Darren Whitehead and Jon Tyson was given to me for free from Thomas Nelson to review. In this book we see the passage from Hezekiah being discussed. Here we find the prophet crying out “Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord. Renew them in our day; in our time make them known in wrath remember mercy.” In other words… I know you are AWESOME and have done amazing things. I know because I have read the stories; but I have never experienced it.

Book Description

Rumors of God is a call to Christians seeking a vision of the life God is calling them to, one that transcends the shallowness of our culture.

Most Christians today live with tension. What is promised in the Scriptures seems like a far cry from what we experience in our lives. As a result, we can lose our passion to live out our faith in the world, and the God of Scripture seems more a series of rumors of divinity than actual tangible, accessible reality.

As our world grows more ungodly, it often feels as if the future of the people of God hangs in the balance. In the seventh century B.C., the prophet Habakkuk also fell prey to a spirit of discouragement, and he penned these words: "LORD, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, LORD. Renew them in our day, in our time make them known; in wrath remember mercy."

Today we live in a similar spiritual and cultural moment to that of Habakkuk, and we, too, long to renew the words and deeds of God in our time. Like Habakkuk we question the future of the church and of God’s mission in our lives.

In Rumors of God, authors Darren Whitehead and Jon Tyson call us to reject what is plausible, and to cry out for God to bring what is possible in our lives and in the church. It will resonate with Christians seeking a vision of the life God is calling them to, one that transcends the shallowness of our culture.


This book renewed a cry in my heart for God to SHOW me His glory. To shine through me so that people would look at me as they did at Moses when he came down from the mountain and just knew he had been with God.

This book really helped me to think through first that it is okay to express my questions or fears. As well it helped me to see ways that we can live out our life by showing GODS love to others.

Some of the chapters include:
The Sculptor’s Shop: Rumors of Abundant Life
The Faith You’ve Only Heard About: Rumors of Love
Getting the Gospel in Order: Rumors of Grace
Giving up your Rights: Rumors of Freedom
The Greenroom: Rumors of Justice
And many others.

If you are seeking a book to renew a passion for God, a renewed vigor to experience who He is and what he wants to do in this world; then this book will help you!

No comments: