Saturday, May 22, 2010

Additions to yesterday's post

Addition to yesterday (Or this early mornings) post…
So today I came across 2 examples of things that the writer of the movie (see my previous post) may have experienced…

So first we were driving down the highway coming back from a quick run to the store when I look in the rearview mirror to see a GRILL of a large Truck… No bumper, not the lights but the GRILL and the hood ornament (Which due to the close proximity I could tell you was chipped and where)…

This truck proceeded to jump from one lane to the next and back again, trying to get better PLACEMENT in this imaginary race they were on. More than one time they came close to clipping vehicles that they cut off. Yet how Ironic I found it when she finally got in front of me that right next to her license plate “SADDLUP”, was a fish shaped bumper sticker for the NEW LIFE CHURCH of which my family and I attend. Christ like driving… not so much…

Then I was reading in a GREAT book on Paul Revere (The Revolutionary Paul Revere by Joel J. Miller). It was describing the story of Boston and the Stamp Act of 1765. A Pastor by the name of Rev. Jonathan Mayhew climbed into his pulpit and preached a sermon that took scripture out of context. Galatians 5:12 and 13 “He read, “I would they were even…. Cut off which trouble you. For, brethren, ye have been called unto LIBERTY.” Imagine his fire, imagine a BRAVEHEART scene. This sermon sparked riots that nearly killed those who were tied to the British and this Stamp Act. All due to his taking scripture out of context and creating a ‘holy war’. As the writer goes on to say “One man through the cause (of the Riots) back at Mayhew; the rioter, as Hutchinson later wrote, was “excited” to the destruction “by this sermon… he thought he was doing God[‘s] service.” I suppose that this and others of Mayhew’s hearers failed to note the end of verse 13: “Only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.”

How often in our PASSION do we neglect God and make rash decisions or make harsh statements that could turn someone away from Christ?

No comments: